Monday, August 16, 2010

Life - Translated by the Moon

(Written December, 2005)

I just wanted to share a simple moment of beauty tonight.

I was driving northward on the 101 tonight, and although the moon was only a little over half full, it was illuminating the sea and the land and the sky...and at one point I looked up and saw a big, bright rainbow halo around it.

The rainbow graced the outside of the large circle, with the inner part all glowing and silvery-gold.

I feel very kindred to rainbows, wherever they appear, and their appearance always brings something promising to me. Something magic.

Tonight, the magic was about the half-full moon and a profound thought it gave me. There are times when life seems full, but not as full as it could be. There is still so much missing that I really want to be there. But the moon's lesson is that it's forever changing. Sometimes, life is completely full and round and bright, and other times there is no light at all. And sometimes, life will surprise us with a moment of rare and unexpected beauty—like a glowing, rainbow halo.

This is the story of life, as translated by the moon.

No comments: