Monday, August 16, 2010

Low Tide and the Inner Happiness

(Written November, 2005)

I made myself take a break from editing my novel today. I've been slaving away at it, getting it in its best possible form so I can submit it to the new batch of agents in Writers Market 2006.

The afternoon sun glistened out on the sea, luring my eyes away from the page. Then it reminded me, by shining in the window on my laptop screen and obscuring the words, to get my butt outside while the daylight was good.

When I took the long walk down to the beach, I was delighted to see that it was low tide. To the hour. At low tide, all kinds of brown, jagged and interesting sea rocks magically appear where one usually only sees water and waves, and it creates an entirely different landscape. It gave me a sense of abundance....more sand, more beach, more things to observe...expansion. Possibility.

Allowing myself to enter kairos time (a time of undetermined duration, in which something special happens—and with no awareness of its length or passage), I meandered slowly through the shallow pools, observing sea plants and wavy patterns in the sand below the surface. I enjoyed the feel of cool water rushing over my feet. Every now and then I'd glance up at the blue, perfect California sky and just let the sun shine on my face. Then, to top it all off, ethereal music played on my iPod, providing the perfect soundtrack for it all.


Sometimes it's so easy to return to the peaceful center, the inner happiness that only I can give myself.

In that space, I thought of all my dear friends and loved ones, and wanted to share some of the serenity I'd found...so I imagined sending it through space and across the miles to all who might benefit from it.

In life there is low tide, high tide…ebb and flow. This is the gift of being human. This is the gift of truly living.

Namaste.

No comments: